Monday, April 7, 2008

Kitty's dangerous night!

Pet's & Scorpions can be a deadly mix south of the border.

Over the weekend a frightening drama played out when our kitty, Katerina was bitten by a scorpion. She swatted at a 1 inch "EscorpiĆ³n" she saw on the floor & had a rapid fire sting from the venomous tail as a result. Frankly we didn't notice the insect till it had already stung the cat. Mexico has a scorpion species which can be particularly dangerous to both pets & humans. Severe illness or death is caused by a complex neurotoxin which can cause paralysis, severe convulsions & affect heart function. Armed with information, after several phone calls to the veterinarian, late night car trips & rather large pills being shoved down her furry little throat; Katerina is back to normal.
*Of the 1500 or so species of scorpions known to mankind, only about 25 are capable of causing human death, the sting of most scorpions is more or less similar to that of a wasp or bee. Of note: Mexico, as many as 1000 people die from Scorpion sting every year!! Frankly, I've always hated the insects after several dealings with them as a teenager. My respect for the scorpion: large, my dislike of the species: larger than ever!!!


Katerina seems to be back to her normal routines at this point but we seriously watch out for any creepy crawlers which seems to attract her attention in the future!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Poor Katerina! I am glad she is okay after such a harrowing ordeal.

Dee said...

It was harrowing for all of us:( I know it could have had a much different outcome, I'm glad she didn't get more venom.

Kate said...

I'm glad I found you, your pictures and your blog....I look forward to reading it and your experiences in Mexico.

I'm glad your kitty is fine now....how scary that must have been! What a sweet face she has....

mendytexas said...

I am so glad your kitty will be ok! That must have been so scary!! I think I'd just faint if I saw one of those creatures!! Hugs to her...:)mendy