Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Summer Pico, New Blog & Cooking Inspirations~


Food & Family have close connections in our home~












After a Summer of rushing about, having company & life in general I am very much behind the curve with my blog. I have had much
time during the off-blog time to get together with Bytes from Texas & come up with a mother daughter blogging adventure. We love Farmers Markets & enjoy cooking with garden fresh ingredients we find on our jaunts around the state of Texas. What could be more appropriate than a dual adventure through cyber Foodie world? We named our blog....(drum roll please!!)
Fresh from the Heart of Texas. We thought it most relevant given our location. We will both continue to keep our original blogs posting (from whence it all originated) & just do some postings now & again on the new one when the mood strikes us! In the meantime this summer we have been experimenting with cool recipes from new foods we find. Both of my daughters tend to inspire me in different directions however this one challenges me in the kitchen in more ways than one. She was trying to cook as early as 6 yrs old when she would come in early on Saturday mornings & let me know she had "made something for she & her sister". She was well known back in the day for her microwave breakfast specials. (microwave is the only thing I allowed her to use when Mom was not in the room) She has surpassed herself as a cook and as a young woman & I am so proud of her along with her blogging adventures. Little sister is even heading in the blogger direction. Seems like it has taken hold of our entire family.
We have a contact locally who is growing Thai melons. The flavors are somewhere between cantaloupe & honeydew melon. The Thai melons ripen very quickly from farm to table & my guess is we don't see many of these melons in the grocery store because they would soften quickly & ruin. I am inspired when I see some new veggie or fruit I have never tried to use it in some fun recipe which really makes the flavors pop & the senses come to life. Hope you give it a try & enjoy the new blog~ Fresh from the Heart of Texas from our life into yours.

Mango & Melon Pico de Gallo
1 Mango, peeled, cut off the seed & diced
1 cup of Melon (honeydew or cantaloupe fine), seeded, skinned & diced
1 grapefruit, sectioned & chopped
2 fresh jalapenos, cut into 1/4 in. strips
1/4 cup onion, sliced
2 green onions, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 sprig of fresh lemon thyme, leaves only (1/4 tsp)

Combine melon, mango, grapefruit, onions, jalapeno strips & toss with oil & lime juice. Add salt to taste & lemon thyme. Marinate for 3-4 hours in refrigerator. Serve over fish or chicken. I show mine served over Talapia (my fillet was disappointingly thin & frail) but it would be even better over a more sturdy fish filet such as Amber Jack or Tuna. Buen Provecho~

10 comments:

Chef Fresco said...

Mmm I love Pico. Nice addition of mango!

Dee said...

Thank you, dear Fresco. It is a true favorite of mine too in any format. Thanks also for your continued kind comments. I am slowly catching up and will soon stop by your blog to check on things.

Angie's Recipes said...

Don't know about Pico...it looks so tempting!
Do you think it's fine to use peach instead of mango?

Anonymous said...

Such a refreshing pico with melon and mango! On my way to check out the new blog!

Dee said...

Angie, peach or nectarines all would be good. Pico is a rough cut salsa & the name literally translates to "rooster beak". LOL, in spite of that it tastes very good. The standard Pico contains tomato, onion & cilantro.

Dee said...

5 Star~it is refreshing during the heat of the summer. Thanks for checking the new blog out:))

Heather S-G said...

What a great idea! I'll definitely head over to check it out! And yeah, yummy pico =)

Tangled Noodle said...

Oh, fantastic! I love this mango and melon pico de gallo. And I think I spotted a Thai melon at one of our co-ops! I didn't know what they were but now I'll have to go back and get one. 8-)

Tangled Noodle said...

Oh, and I'm off to check out your new blog . . . !

Hornsfan said...

I'm still craving those Thai melons, guess I'll have to cross my fingers that they are still in season this coming weekend