Sunday, December 14, 2008

Cooking & travels in an ordinary time.


Life for us isn't so extraordinary, the travel, hellos & goodbyes just take us a little further than most these days.





















Our return to Mexico & subsequent South of the Border Posada schedule had a slight detour. We were back in Texas longer than anticipated this trip with 2 family members in the hospital. The blur of frenzied meals, hospital visits & family activities drew to a close this weekend as we drove South once again to Mexico. Returning to Monterrey generally throws me into a whirlwind of getting things up & running at the house when we have been absent for any length of time. We had a rare snow last Tuesday evening in the Austin area & returned here to 92 degree temps this afternoon. While the warm weather had things toasty outside, our house was chilly & cool as we entered, it made unpacking sweaters & jackets a little easier... Checking my well stocked Mexican pantry & freezer I found I had all the ingredients to pull together a quick & spicy version of an ordinary Indian side dish. My version of Cabbage & Peas had a bit more Mexican bite with a dried chili thrown in as well as excellent ground cumin. To this dinner we added a rich glass of Cabernet & shared a small amount of steak. Travel is exhausting but returning to the ordinary makes us focused once again on life south of the border.



Cabbage & Peas
5 cups of chopped cabbage
1/4 cup of sliced yellow onions
4 Tbsp. Oil
2 Bay Leaves
3/4 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. Chili powder
1 dried whole chili pepper
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 cup green peas, frozen but thawed
2 tomatoes, chopped
Heat oil, add cumin seeds, onion. Saute till onions are translucent. Add cabbage, all other spices & bay leaves. Saute for 3-4 minutes, add tomatoes, peas & cook 10-12 minutes till cabbage is cooked but still slightly crisp. Serve immediately.

6 comments:

Chef E said...

This sounds really good, I love cabbage I do not care how you cook it, but of course loving South spices makes it all the better!

I was laughing on my blog, so I did not mean it was my birthday Dee, I was saying everyone was being so nice saying I looked like I was forty when I am a year away from 50, but in June you can say it again! My visit with my son has mean't so much, given me so much to be thankful for, and your family is too precious to you! -E

Dee said...

Elizabeth~gosh, I was a little slow on the uptake with that one! ha! You look fabulous, sister! Those visits are worth gold. So glad you had a good one. I do love cabbage unless it is overcooked & mushy! ick!

Reeni said...

What gorgeous pictures! Your dish looks delicious! Wow, it's hot there, it felt like summer today here in NY too.

Hornsfan said...

Now that you've left me in Austin the weather is FREEZING!!! They are saying we could ice over tonight...haven't seen that in a while..oh well, it's supposed to be 70 again on Friday, never quite know how to dress here. Miss you Mom!

Dee said...

Reeni~thanks! The cabbage seems to be a good dish to blend with either weather~bet your NY weather won't be warm for long...ha!
Lauren~miss you too! I'd set another place at the table for you, sweetie!

Chef E said...

Dee...wish the music would go into the comment section...I showed my college friend (from wayyyy back) your blog with the music and she is going to get on here and keep up with us all...

BTW, my hubby took that pic on a ladder so you do not see my extra baggage in the mid section, they say extra pounds hide the wrinkles...Clairol hides the grey :)