Tuesday, May 20, 2008

New twist on a Southern Favorite!



















Sometimes Change is Good, it just has to be the right change!!!


















The whole lack of finding good lemons here in Mexico forced me to get creative when I wanted to bake this favorite dessert. I've blogged a Lemon bar recipe previously, after all Lady Bird Johnson loved these sweet concoctions. However, if Lady Bird had ever been cooking South of the Border even she would have met resistance trying to locate lemons in Mexico!! The Rosemary herb & Orange flavors meld nicely into a subtle sweet concoction. Getting creative sometimes yields a surprisingly nice change. Buen Provencho!


Orange Rosemary Bars

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter
Mix the flour, sugar and butter as for a pie crust. Pat evenly into a 9x18-inch (or equivalent) jelly roll pan. Bake in preheated 350°F degree oven until very light brown, about 15 minutes.
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 beaten eggs
6 Tablespoons orange juice and 1 tablespoon finely grated zest of orange
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
confectioners' sugar
Mix ingredients, except for the confectioners' sugar, in the order given and pour over the baked crust. Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven & immediately sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.

5 comments:

mendytexas said...

Oh my gosh...you are KILLIN' me! These look incredible! I copied down the recipe. WOW! :)mendy

Lora said...

Hey! I didn't know you had a blog! I'm adding to my faves to come back later and read...

Visit my blog when you have time :O)

Lora

Lauren said...

mmm...these look so good!

Unknown said...

I'm sure that you and Lori had a rippin' good time together! Lisa told me how much she appreciated staying with you again too. You're a dear friend to so many of us! Love ya! RO

Dee said...

Ro!!! I am so glad to have you blogging! I did enjoy you all so much & yes, Lori & I had a great time hitting the stores, riding, eating, stores, stores....ha,ha!